Perthshire, Scotland. The Barty family were blacksmiths in Meikleour from 1746 to 1947. The story passed down through the years tells of an Officer by the name of Astor, who during a lull at the battle of Culloden found his horse to have thrown a shoe. The man who shod his mount was called Barty. The job done well, the gentleman asked what favour could he do. Barty then said to the Officer he would like to be Blacksmith at Meikleour, this was granted. The factor of the time, and a workman along with Barty drove four stakes into the ground marking the site where to this day still stands the Smithy at Meikleour. A newspaper clipping tells of the above event by an old inhabitant. The business started about 1747. David Barty married Mary Tasker, a family of two were born at the smiddy, William and Jemima. On David Barty's retiral, his son William took over the business. Jemima remained with her brother some time and received the Robert Keay hair ring. William married Margaret Doig from Dundee on the 9th of June 1850. Entered in St Ninians Paris Records No. 488. They had a family of five girls and one boy. William Junior was an apprentice blacksmith at the age of seventeen, he continued to take great interest in his work. He married Margaret McNaughton Sidey of Hallhole, Coupar Angus in 1891. Their family of six sons were all born in the Smithy House. William Barty was known as the Provost of Meikleour.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.