Glasgow, Scotland. Steam Ship Hebrides was a passenger and cargo ship which operated in the Western Isles of Scotland. Built in 1898 for John MacCallum, she became part of the fleet of David MacBrayne Ltd, serving St Kilda until 1955. Hebrides was the only cargo ship owned by John MacCallum. Built in 1898, she had passenger cabins and also offered leisurely summer cruises round the Western Isles. She was reboiled in 1937. Taken over by MacBrayne's in 1948, she survived in their fleet until the arrival of Loch Ard in 1955. During the Second World War, she was chartered to MacBraynes, sailing between Oban and Tiree. She assisted at the evacuation of Soay and took part in a similar duty at St Kilda. In her final years, she carried cargo and livestock only on her old route from Glasgow, on alternate runs with Loch Frisa.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.