Moray Firth, Scotland. The lands here passed from the Duffs to the Ogilvies of Findlater and subsequently, in 1568, the Ord family acquired the manor, port, custom and fishers lands of Findochty, and later built the House of Findochty, known as Findochty Castle, now a ruin, which stands to the west of the village. In 1716 the Ords brought 13 men and 4 boys from Fraserburgh under contract to fish from Findochty, and for a time the harbour was busy with landings of herring and white fish. Findochty expanded as a fishing port through the 1700s and 1800s, and by 1850 was home to 140 fishing boats. But the expansion in the late 1800s of nearby Buckie provided a better harbour, and some of the fishing fleet had left Findochty by 1890.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.