Old Photograph Cottages Dalmally Scotland
Old photograph of cottages in Dalmally, Argyll, Scotland. In 1882, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Dalmally like this: Dalmally, a village in Glenorchy parish, Argyllshire, on the left bank of the Orchy, near the north eastern extremity of Loch Awe, with a station on the Callander and Oban railway, 24½ miles East of Oban, 62¼ miles West North West of Stirling, and 16 miles by road North North East of Inverary. Nestling among trees, and at the same time commanding magnificent views of the basin and mountain screens of Loch Awe, it is a favourite resort of anglers, and has a post office, with money order, savings bank, and telegraph departments, an hotel, a Free church, a public school, and a fair on the Friday of October after Kilmichael; whilst on an islet in the Orchy here stands Glenorchy parish church, an octagonal Gothic structure with a spire.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...