Old Photograph Whaling Station Tarbert Isle Of Harris Scotland

Old photograph of the Whaling Station near Tarbert on Island Of Harris, Scotland. The remains of whaling station was founded by a Norwegian, Carl Herlofsen, in 1904. The company was operational until 1914 and again from 1918 to 1922, when it was bought by Lever Brothers, the company founded and run by William Lever, 1st Viscount Leverhulme. The machines were renewed and three ships for whaling in the North Atlantic were bought. The main product was whale oil, which was used in making soap and margarine and also for lighting and lubricants.



All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments: