Old Photographs Finlarig Castle Killin Scotland

Old photograph of Finlarig Castle near Killin, Scotland. Built in 1629 by Duncan Campbell, Donnchadh Dubh, of Glenorchy, the castle is an L-plan tower house, formerly protected by an outer enclosure or barmekin, which is now in a dangerously ruinous condition. It was one of many strongholds built in Argyll and Perthshire by the Campbells of Breadalbane. The castle was visited by Rob Roy MacGregor in 1713. Near the Castle's north wall is a stone lined pit which, legend has it, was used for beheading prisoners of noble blood. Commoners were hanged on a nearby oak tree.




All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments:

Featured post

Tour Scotland Winter Travel Video Waterfalls Glencoe And Glen Etive Highlands

Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...