Wednesday, 30 March 2016
Tour Scotland Video The Guthrie Aisle Angus
Tour Scotland video of the Guthrie Memorial Aisle on ancestry visit to Angus, Scotland. The remains of the former parish church, which was a long, narrow building with small lancet windows. The body of the church was pulled down to make way for the present church, built in 1826, leaving only the Guthrie Aisle, which has been attached to the church, and is now the Guthrie family burial vault. Guthrie Church, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, is mentioned in 1178, and was erected into a collegiate church for provost and four canons on 1479. The Guthrie Aisle was probably the South transept of the old church, The existing architectural features indicate a 17th century date, but the fabric is possibly of the original church. There are some 17th and 18th century gravestones in the burial ground, and a heraldic panel above the entrance gateway bears the date 1657. During the latter part of the eighteenth century William Guthrie emigrated from Scotland to America. This aisle forming part of the old church of Guthrie founded AD 1479 was restored by Jane Guthrie in memory of her father and mother John Guthrie of Guthrie and Ann Douglas his wife Also of her sisters Margaret and Ann and her brother William all of whose bodies rest here in peace AD 1881.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...