Saturday, 16 January 2016

Old Photograph Venlaw Castle Scotland

Old photograph of Venlaw Castle located North of Peebles in the Borders of Scotland. The site was formally occupied by a 14th century fortification founded by the Hay family, known as Smithfield Castle, which was destroyed in the 18th century. The present house was built for Alexander Stevenson, Sheriff Deputy of Peebleshire, on the site in 1782. It is an excellent example of the Scottish Baronial architecture. It remained in the Stevenson family until it was bought by the Grant family in 1790 and then by the Erskine family in 1798. It became the home of Admiral of the Fleet Sir James Elphinstone Erskine in 1862. It then passed to Richard Davidson, a retired tea planter, and then to a Miss Walton in 1946. Since 1949 it has been operated as a hotel.



All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments:

Featured post

Tour Scotland Travel Video Winter Snow Before Christmas Glen Etive Highlands

Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...