Old Photograph Tram To Auchenshuggle Glasgow Scotland

Old photograph of a Tram going to Auchenshuggle in Glasgow, Scotland. Auchenshuggle is the easternmost part of the Braidfauld Ward of the City of Glasgow. The name was made famous throughout the city by Glasgow Corporation Tramways. Auchenshuggle was the eastern terminus of tram service number 9 and was duly carried on the destination boards of tramcars. Service No 9 ran between Auchenshuggle and Dalmuir West, a district of Clydebank. The service was extended from its previous terminus at Springfield Road in 1922. The area is at the east end of Glasgow on London Road, and it was often said that Glasgow Corporation Transport Department invented the name so that curious tourists and city dwellers would travel there thus increasing revenue. In fact, the terminus, at Braidfauld Street, was directly opposite a group of 19th century cottages, now replaced by 1960s council houses, named Auchenshuggle Cottages. Service No 9 was the final route on which trams were run in the city. The last regular tram ran on 1 September 1962. On 2, 3 and 4 September, a special tram service was operated between Auchenshuggle and Anderston Cross on which souvenir tickets were sold. This proved attractive to those who wished to take a final sentimental journey. The route was taken by bus service No 64. There was also service No. 22 which operated between Auchenshuggle and Castlemilk, via Shettleston Road, Duke Street and Rutherglen, however this service has been withdrawn. No service currently uses Auchenshuggle terminus or even the destination on its signage, although it does still stop there. Also the link between Clydebank and Auchenshuggle on service 64, no longer exists, as service 64 terminates in Glasgow City Centre, and no longer serves Clydebank. Service 308 also uses Auchenshuggle as a stop.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments: