Old Photograph Rosehaugh House Scotland

Old photograph of Rosehaugh House in Avoch on the South East coast of the Black Isle in Scotland. Sir Roderick Mackenzie of Scatwell built a house here in 1798. James Fletcher originally from Avoch bought the estate in 1864 having made a fortune in Liverpool. The existing house was much enlarged in 1872 by Alexander Ross which formed a relatively small part of the eventual house. Fletcher’s son James Douglas employed William Flockhart, a London Scot architect to carry out a complete remodelling and major extension between 1898 and 1903. The house was demolished in 1959.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments: