Old Photograph Railway Station Lanark Scotland

Old photograph of the railway station in Lanark, Scotland. Lanark station opened in 1855, as the terminus of a short branch line off the Caledonian Railway's West Coast Main Line. The branch had a triangular junction with the main line to allow trains from Lanark to head west towards Carluke or east to Carstairs. The eastern curve closed in the 1960s. In 1864, a line south from Lanark to Douglas was opened, and in 1874 it was extended to Muirkirk in Ayrshire, where it formed an end-on junction with the Glasgow and South Western Railway. That line closed in 1964. There is a half hourly Abellio ScotRail to Glasgow Central High Level via Shieldmuir, Motherwell and Bellshill. On Sundays this service runs hourly.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments: