Old Photograph Parish Church Dalry Scotland

Old photograph of the Parish Church in Dalry in North Ayrshire, Scotland. Dalry was mentioned in 1226 as a " chapel of Ardrossan ". The parish of Dalry was probably formed in 1279 when a " Henry, Rector of the Church of Dalry " appears in the Register of the Diocese of Glasgow. Lands including the area of Pitcon in Dalry were given by Robert the Bruce to his right hand man Robert Boyd in 1316. On the 8th Nov 1576, midwife Bessie Dunlop, resident of Lynne, in Dalry, was accused of sorcery and witchcraft. She answered her accusers that she received information on prophecies or to the whereabouts of lost goods from a Thomas Reid, a former barony officer in Dalry who died at the Battle of Pinkie some 30 years before. She convicted and burnt at the stake at Castle Hill in Edinburgh in 1576. Various manufacturing existed in the parish relating to cotton and carpet yarn with silk and harness weaving, in which both men and women were employed.A significant number of women were occupied in sewing and embroidering, mainly for the Glasgow and Paisley manufacturers. The dressing and spinning of flax to some extent was also done in the area.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments: