Old Photograph Mugdock Castle Scotland
Old photograph of Mugdock Castle located two miles North of Milngavie, Scotland. Mugdock Castle was the stronghold of the Clan Graham from the middle of the 13th century. The lands of Mugdock were a property of the Grahams from the mid 13th century, when David de Graham of Dundaff acquired them from the Earl of Lennox. It is possible that his descendant, Sir David de Graham, who died in 1396, built the castle. It was certainly standing by August 1372, when a contemporary document was signed there. In 1458, the lands were erected into the Barony of Mugdock. Later, in 1505, the Grahams were created Earls of Montrose. The most famous of the Montrose Grahams, James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose, may have been born at Mugdock Castle in 1612. During the Bishops Wars, a prelude to the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, Montrose briefly supported the Covenanters. Montrose was imprisoned in Edinburgh in 1641, for intrigues against Archibald Campbell, 1st Marquess of Argyll, who was to become his arch enemy. While Montrose was in prison, Lord Sinclair sacked Mugdock. Montrose returned there, however, until 1644 when he began his Royalist revolt, becoming the King's commander in Scotland. Mugdock was sacked again that year. Following the defeat of Charles I, Montrose was executed in 1650, and the lands were forfeited to the Marquess of Argyll. In 1661 Argyll too was executed, and Mugdock was returned to the Grahams, who restored the castle over a two year period, building a mansion within the old castle walls. In 1682 the Grahams bought Buchanan Old House near Drymen, a dwelling more fitting the title of Marquess. The family's official seat was kept at Mugdock Castle for a some time. In 1945, Hugh Fraser, 1st Baron Fraser of Allander, owner of the large retail chain now known as House of Fraser, purchased Mugdock Castle from the Duke of Montrose. He died in 1966 at Mugdock Castle. During World War II the house was requisitioned for use by the government, but by 1948 was empty. It was demolished in 1967, although foundations and walls remain.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...