Old Photograph Lagwine Castle Scotland

Old photograph of Lagwine Castle located about a quarter of a mile north of Carsphairn in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. This was the residence of the McAdams of Waterhead from which family John Loudon McAdam, the Scottish engineer and road builder, came. He was the son of James McAdam and Susanna Cochrane, the niece of the 7th Earl of Dundonald. John Loudon was the youngest of 10 children, but the only surviving male from the main line of the Waterhead family. His older brother, James was a Captain in the military and died in the South Seas when John was about 7 or 8 years old. John was born in Ayr, in Lady Cathcart's house in the Sandgate, on September 21, 1756. The McAdam of Waterhead's residence at that time was Lord Carthcart's house in Ayr until 1760 when the family built a new residence and moved to Lagwyie. The castle was part of the property on the Waterhead estate. James McAdam had moved the family residence from Waterhead to Lagwine because it was more accessible. Shortly after the family moved into the new residence at Lagwine it burnt to the ground. James and Susanna were away on business in Edinburgh when the Castle burnt down. A fire from the fireplace is said to have started the fire. John Loudon narrowly escaped the fire only to be rescued by the family nurse. James McAdam did not rebuild the Lagwyne Castle and moved the family to Blairquhan or sometimes called the Whitefoord Castle, near Straiton. He leased the Castle from Sir John Whiteford. Whitefoord Castle since has been demolished and replaced by the present Blaiquhan Castle.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments: