Old Photographs Cottages Hirta St Kilda Scotland

Old photograph of cottages on Hirta, St Kilda, Outer Hebrides, Scotland. Hirta is the largest island in the St Kilda archipelago. St. Kilda was part of the Lordship of the Isles, then a property of the MacLeods of Dunvegan from 1498 until 1930. There were three chapels on St. Kilda, dedicated to Saint Brendan, Saint Columba, and Christ Church, but little remains. The islanders had a tough life, and survived by exploiting the thousands of sea birds living on the islands. The islanders had a very democratic system, and decisions were taken by an island council, made up of all the menfolk. The village was set out in the 1830s above Village Bay; in the 1880s some of the population left for Australia, with the remaining inhabitants being evacuated in 1930.


All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments: