Saturday, 9 January 2016

Old Photograph Belladrum House Scotland

Old photograph of Belladrum House by Beauly located ten miles West of Inverness, Scotland. Belladrum Estate was once part of the lands owned by the Lords of Lovat, chieftains of the Clan Fraser, to whom belonged much of the land in the area and stretching to the South and West. From them it came into the ownership of the Frasers of Belladrum, whose memorials you can see in Wardlaw Church in the nearby village Kirkhill, and who raised the Regiment of Fraser Fencibles during the Napoleonic Wars. In the 1820s, the Belladrum Frasers sold their estates to merchants by the name of Stewart. They in turn sold in 1857 to James Merry of Belladrum. MP for the Burghs of Falkirk, and an ironmaster from Glasgow.



All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments:

Featured post

Tour Scotland Travel Video Winter Snow Before Christmas Glen Etive Highlands

Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...