Old Photograph Pollock Castle Scotland

Old photograph of Pollock Castle by Newton Mearns located seven miles South West of Glasgow, Scotland. Pollok Castle was a tower house castle built by the de Pollocs in the 12th or 13th century and became the seat of Clan Pollock. The castle was rebuilt between 1686 and 1694 by Sir Robert Pollok, 1st Baronet of Pollok, with a new east wing. Destroyed by fire in 1882, it was rebuilt afterwards in 1886 in the Scots Baronial Style. It was requisitioned by the British Army in 1939 during World War II, bar one wing occupied by the Pollok family throughout the war and the lands used as an ammunition dump. In 1944, Miss Ferguson Pollok abandoned the castle and the castle deteriorated and was required to be demolished in 1952. The castle was again rebuilt in 2003, in the Scottish Adam style by Alex Hewitt.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments:

Featured post

Tour Scotland Winter Travel Video Waterfalls Glencoe And Glen Etive Highlands

Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...