Isle of Skye, Scotland.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
For thousands of years peat was the main fuel that warmed houses all over the British Isles, and the mark of the peat cutter is written deep in the landscape. This book is a celebration of a cultural history that extended from the Iron Age to the twentieth century. It tells the story of the use of peat for fuel in the British Isles, and the people who cut it. It also examines the methods of cutting, the tools that were used, and the organization of cutting. It chronicles the beginning of commercial extraction and the exhaustion of this precious resource. Peat and Peat Cutting (Shire Library).
Bestselling Books About Scotland
- Travel Deals
- Self Catering Holiday Cottage Deals Scotland
- Searching For Your Ancestors in Scotland
- Hotel Deals Scotland
- Self Catering Holiday Apartment Deals Scotland
- Search For The Best Flight And Hotel Deals In UK
- Searching For Your Ancestors In England
- Searching For Your Ancestors In Ireland